Thursday, May 2, 2013

Voles May Top My List


Voles may now top my list was being the most horrid creatures in the garden - even coming out above that other hated creature, fire ants! What you see in the picture what used to be nice full, healthy root on my 9 year old bay tree. They nibbled away every bit of it, even hollowing it out up into the base of the plant. I guess I won't be picking fresh bay leaves for my beef stew any more.

Fire ants, we have under control, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of voles. They don't come above the ground so you never see them. They've eaten so many of my plants by nibbling off the roots that I am getting more and more hesitant to plant anything in the ground. It's becoming "pot city" at my house! Even rose bushes have been nibbled away until the plant would simply fall over.

This only started a few years ago. We used to have an outdoor cat and I think he was able to keep them controlled. The next cat I adopted is declawed in the front, so he is strictly an indoor cat. I think I'll have to look for poisonous plants from now on and hope the roots are poisonous, too. I tried potatoes last year and I know the plant is supposed to be poisonous. Yup - those voles ate every bit of the roots on them, too!

Kentucky Derby Etsy Garage Sale


Incidentally, this is the weekend of the Kentucky Derby. I really enjoy the triple crown races and have been planning my menu so we can enjoy watching it on TV. I've been to see the Belmont in person, but I don't know if I'll make it to either of the other two triple crown races. In conjunction with that, my Etsy shop is having a weekend garage sale. Not all the items are on sale, but the garage sale items are marked down by 50% so check them out! My sale will end on Monday, May 6th.

Here are the shops involved with our little Etsy Garage Sale:\

Have a great weekend and I hope your garden is happier underground than mine is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment