Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fabric Book in Progress


Working on the cover for Erik's book
and the back of the cover which will involve
the fabric with the rulers.

With my dog being sick, I have hardly left the house this week so I decided to work on the fabric books for my grandsons.  They are triplets, just a little over 6 months old.  Making these is sort of a learning process because I have never made anything like this before and I do not have a pattern or directions.  I also found out I do not have fusible on hand, so I am just sewing the edges of various pieces and either totally sewing them down or letting there be a few places for the babies to grab onto or hold something.  I'm still not sure what I am going to do to attach the pages together.  My first thought was to use eyelets or button holes and then tie the pages together with ribbon.  My other idea was to use small pieces of ribbon on the spine of the pages and use that to tie the pages together. The first page of each will be unique to each boy, but the other pages will be something they can trade around (or actually Mom and Dad can trade around for them.)

There will only be 4 pages in each book - double sided.  I figure that means 12 double-sided pages which is the most I want to attempt and still be able to complete them pretty quickly.  Here are two pages that I completed for Erik so far.  You are seeing the front in one picture and the page of the page in the other.


I wish I had fusible on hand, but I think everything will stay together without it.  I am doing lots of stitching to hold things on so there won't be a safety concern.  That makes the sewing look a little sloppy, but the boys won't care!  These great fabrics are not only from my stash, but also from a fabric swap that I did with a craft group so that I could have many more from which to choose!

I'll show some more pictures once I have some more pages ready.

As for my dog, not a lot of change since yesterday.  I called the vet's office and they have her scheduled to come in at 1:30 today.  My husband says lately the meals have been me cooking for her and we eat the leftovers!  She did eat her scrambled egg and cheese this morning... I made a little extra so I could have some, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment