Saturday, November 3, 2012

DC in the Daytime

Here's Washington, DC, in the daytime. Upon our arrival, our friend Darilyn met us at the airport and drove us to our hotel. We had some adventures and were laughing a lot. It was great to meet her!

The next day, Kristene and I saw lots of Union Station, both for meals and because that's a good place to catch a cab. I was delighted to find out there was Au Bon Pain, I love that place!
Columbus Monument and Union Station
I attended the church that I attended in the early 1970's, St. Joseph's Church on Capitol Hill. It has been totally renovated and I probably would not have recognized the interior. Here is a picture of the beautiful ceiling. When I was in Rome, we were told that the Sistine Chapel originally had a deep blue ceiling with stars. Stunning!


I also stopped by the place I used to live - The Young Women's Christian Home, just about 2 blocks from the U.S. Capitol. It is still lovely inside and out. Here is a picture of me taken near the building I used to work in, the Russell Senate Office Building.


We spent lots of time walking around Capitol Hill. Unfortunately the Library of Congress was not open on a Sunday. It's really a beautiful place, but we did enjoy seeing the exterior and the fountain. 

Library of Congress taken from U.S. Capitol Grounds
 














Next we went to the U.S. Botanical Gardens. What I especially loved was the display leading into Christmas with well-known government buildings made from plant materials. You can see the U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. Capitol in this view. I hope I can come back one day to see the whole Christmas display. It must be spectacular.


Our final stop was the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, the newest museum in town. I love the architecture and they had a special exhibit about horses so it was perfect for me.


We had one more place to see on Monday, the National Arboretum, before leaving  for Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment