Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Buddy is Looking for a Family


Meet Buddy!  He is up for adoption at The Healing Species in Orangeburg.  There is a story about why I am posting about Buddy on my blog. 

Last fall when we had to have our elderly Golden Retriever put to sleep after months of illness and care and no improvement, I looked at many dogs on petfinder.com.  There were four that I especially liked from seeing the pictures, reading about them, and talking with the people at the rescue groups.  Buddy was one of the four.  Our decision was to adopt Sydney who came to us from Diamond in the Ruff in Seneca, SC.  There was another dog from Georgia, and one in Columbia, SC. Out of the four, I only met the one in Columbia, SC, and Sydney, prior to making my decision. The dog from Georgia and the one in Columbia, SC, were adopted months and months ago and every now and then I would visit petfinder to see if Buddy had found a home.  He has not.  He is about 3 years old now and has lived at the rescue place (which is really, really nice) for almost his entire life.



Today I saw why he has been passed over so much. He is extremely shy, especially around anyone new, so the other dogs might rush up to great you and lick your hand while wagging their tails, but Buddy is not one of those. He did come up to sniff me after awhile and allowed me to pet him, but he is going to take some work in terms of making friends with him. He is, however, bonded and responsive to one of the ladies there, so he is a dog that can bond with his owner and be trained: he will need someone with lots of patience and who uses positive reinforcement and absolutely no physical punishment.
Anyway, here are a few pictures and I hope he can find a home.  Excuse me for not getting even better pictures, he was moving around quite a bit and I didn't want to use flash so these were the best I came up with! He is a very pretty dog, sort of a reddish brown like a fox with white markings.  He weighs about 47 lbs.




I'll be happy to tell you more of my impression of him if you contact me or get in touch with The Healing Species. They not only rescue pets, but put on programs at the local schools.  Very nice people!
Check out their web site: http://www.healingspecies.org/

1 comment:

  1. Sending "paws"itive thoughts that buddy finds a forever home!

    ReplyDelete