Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Halloween


Things have been very busy lately which is why there has been a delay in posting.  Last weekend I was at Pieceable Retreat which is held annually in White Oak by the Quilters of South Carolina.  What a lovely weekend we had - and a special hello to the ladies who took my class:  Fun Techniques Using the X-Blocks Ruler!

I came back from retreat and did some more follow up on my search for a new dog.  I hope no one thinks we disrespect our dog or loved her any less because of this, but my way to heal is to give a good home to another dog in need of a family.  We truly loved our dog and miss her still.  I will admit that this is the first time I have selected a rescue dog.  We always purchased a purebred puppy prior to this.  However, I discovered Petfinder.com and was on my way.  You can type in the type of animal you want, age, breed, sex, and special members of your household - in my case, cat - and also can ask for one that is already house trained.  Chances are the pet you find will already have her shots, been dewormed, and had a little bit of training as well.  (I had lots of motivation to do this because I adopted a cat about a year and a half ago after finding him on Petfinder.com and he is the best behaved and most beautiful cat I have ever owned!)

Fast forward and you will see that we now have Sydney!  She is about 6-8 months old and comes from Diamond in the Ruff in Seneca, SC.   The CEO of the rescue group not only rescues but also rehabilitates dogs.  Sydney came to them from a shelter.  I adopted her with most of her health needs taken care of - she had her Rabies shot, is spayed, had been microchipped, etc. and she is sweet, willing, and anxious to please.   I can tell that this will be another success story.  If you are looking for a pet, please consider adopting a pet in need of a home.  Sydney and my family wish you a Happy Halloween!

More on the quilting front:  I said I would try to continue reviewing patterns and books regularly so you could read about them.  This time my book is Nickel Quilts & Borders by Pat Speth.  I heard about this book at the retreat that I went to in North Carolina several weeks ago.  I was especially interested in buying it because I am in a round robin group and it will be a big help in trying to decide on my round to be attached.

The book contains 7 quilts designs and 260 border designs all based on using 5" squares.  I can't imagine not being able to find something that will work with each quilt that comes to me now.  The hard part will be picking out which one to use and deciding on colors.
Until next time, happy quilting!

1 comment:

  1. You are a lot braver than I am. I can not imagine adopting a puppy, even potty trained.

    ReplyDelete