Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Machine

Since January I have been saying that I need a second sewing machine.  (Well, actually it is a third sewing machine because I have one that is mounted in a sewing table, weighs a ton, and doesn't do much of anything related to quilting. I keep it because it was my bridal shower gift from my great aunt "way back when."  It is not anything I can take to workshops, classes, retreat, etc.  Is anyone else sentimental about a sewing machine?)
My primary machine is a Bernina that I have had for 10 or 11 years.  It's a really nice machine with more bells and whistles than I need so I have no complaints with it.  However, I notice more and more times when I absolutely have to have a machine that is operational (like when I was hurrying to make quilts for the baby shower for my triplet grandsons and my tension on my Bernina would not behave.)
I decided in January to get a second machine for a back-up, for workshops, etc.   I browsed a bit online now and then, but was not looking very seriously and had not selected anything.  Today I did a bit more browsing, read reviews, etc. and got a machine ordered!  No, I have not seen it in person or tried it out.  It is a new machine from a legitimate business and can be returned if I really don't like it.  Anyway, I am excited to have a new "baby" to try out and it should arrive on Friday.  Once it gets here (assuming I like it), I will post some pictures and tell more about it.
So, you will hear from me with a report soon...

What have I been working on lately?  This is a quilt that was started by the original group of Lady Bees.


The Lady Bees were a group who all took a quilting class together and wanted to keep meeting and stay in touch. I think it continued for about 10 years and we still keep in touch from time to time.  I believe there were 5 of us originally when these quilt blocks were made.  (There was a later Lady Bees quilt that was made after the group expanded and I completed that one long ago.)
On the quilt that is pictured, I added many blocks on my own so there would be a "full" quilt; the block made by each of the original members is included.  I had the piecing completed a long time ago, but recently got it quilted by my friend Vivian Perry (see vivianperry.blogspot.com) and now I am sewing down the binding.  The quilt design is "Fern" and I love it!  I'll post a bigger picture that includes the binding once I finish it.
This quilt has been 10 years in the making.  I love our guild's UFO Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment